At a glance map showing key features and walks

Choice of 3 walks using the Galmpton Trail Map

  • W1. Circular short walk around the immediate village centre

  • W2. Medium walk. As Walk 1 with additional leg down to Galmpton Creek

  • W3. Long Walk. As Walk 2 down to the Creek, then continuing up bridlepath to join Mill Lane, thence left up hill and back into village along Greenway Road.



1. MANOR INN. Built 1869.

The sign consists of the Ferrers of Churston coat of arms

1a CAR PARK. (and adjoining houses). This makes up the site of the former livestock market

2. SMITHY until c.1935. Predates 1839

2a. SITE OF THE HORSESHOE INN until 1869. Possibly where the Dartmouth to Newton Abbot stagecoach would have stopped

3. BIX COTTAGE. predates 1839

4. Originally THE DARTMOUTH INN. Name indicates this is where the stage stopped. But how would they have coped with manoeuvring on the steep hill?

5. INDEPENDENT CHAPEL. Built by villagers in 1830. Later became a Sunday School and also a Police Office

6. WISTERIA COTTAGE. In 1870 this was two semi-detached, thatched cottages, each at an annual rent of two pounds and twelve shillings

7. ROSE COTTAGE. Built of cob and stone with a newly thatched roof in 1944 when the annual rent was six pounds and fifteen shillings

8. POST OFFICE. Thought to have had links with Sir Walter Raleigh. Possibly his cousin lived here. 'POST' because one occupier bought it by post from Christmas Island

9. COBB COTTAGE. Formerly a cobbler's cottage, haunted in sound and sight

10. VALE HOUSE. The farmhouse of the former Vale Farm. (88 acres c.1812) Front of the house c.1812. rear much older. Robert Graves (poet) lived here during the last war

11. VILLAGE INSTITUTE. Built by order of THOMAS BOLITHO, Lord of the Manor, in 1902

12. CHAPEL OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD. Formerly the Cider Pound and barn of Vale Farm. Converted by the village "Pick and Shovel Brigade" in 1961

13. ORCHARDS. Until just after the last war the areas between the buildings of the village consisted of apple orchards

13a. GERMAN AIRMAN. During World War ll the German pilot of an Me109 parachuted into the orchard, having been shot down by guns positioned on the Warborough. An ARP officer based at the Village Institute took him prisoner and gave him a cup of tea!

14. STREAM. Rises just half a mile up the valley and runs down through the village, now partially culverted to the creek

14a BIG BELLY GATE. Pigs owned by villagers were taken through this gate, to the pond where they were washed.

15. CHURCH SCHOOL. Built in 1870 as a gift from Mrs Susanna Harvey, widow of Richard Harvey, the late Lord of the Manor

15a. SCHOOL MISTRESS'S HOUSE originally.

16. 'MODEL' COTTAGES. Built in 1869 to replace the 'miserable hovels' of his tenants by Richard Harvey when he became Lord of the Manor. Note the coat of arms on the first house, opposite the school

16a. SITE OF THE EARLY VILLAGE POST OFFICE with village shop next door

17. JUBILEE TREE. Oak tree planted to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897

18. VICARAGE. Only since 1991.

19. GALMPTON FARM (176 acres c.1882). Remodernised 1869. The main barn was said to be the longest in the country in its time. Americans held dances here prior to D Day. Now converted to housing

20. PENNYCOT TERRACE. Tudor in origin

20a. MINIATURE COTT in grounds of PENNYCOT used to be a cobbler's workshop

21. JUBILEE TERRACE. Built 1865. Internal timber work influenced by local shipwrights. Original road level accommodated butchers and baker's shops. Boat porch is a modern addition

22. SEA-CAPTAINS HOUSES. Built late Victorian times

23. MANOR FARM. (172 acres c.1882) The third of the village's three farms. Barns now converted

24. LIMESTONE QUARRIES. Area heavily quarried since Tudor times. Stone used for building, ships' ballast and for producing lime in local lime kilns. (click here to see example below Manor Farm)

25. BOATYARDS. These were sited both sides of the Creek. More than 300 Brixham Sailing Trawlers were built here over 150 years. Motor Launches and Motor Torpedo Boats were built here during the last war. Sand dredged from the Dart was also landed at the Sandquay. Note weighbridge still in position in front of MDL office

26. IVY COTTAGE. Quite probably of Tudor origin, although a puzzle in that not shown on 1839 Tithe map

27. PERRY MILL COTTAGE. Converted Barn, most likely included a cider press. Note crushing stone built in over road drain 28. POST OFFICE/BUTCHERS. This area formerly known as SKARDONS was a small farmstead but also included the village slaughter house up to the end of the last war 29. FLAVELL CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL. Was built in 1870 to replace the Independent Chapel (Site 5)